This Wednesday December 21, 2016 is our 6th annual Yankee Santa. Here are the rules:
- The gift price range for gifts is $ 10.00-20.00
- Each person will buy 1 gift, wrap it, and bring it to the Wednesday group (do not tell anyone what the gift is, or label it in any way). If you can afford a second gift bring one for people that show up without one.
- All the gifts will be placed in the center of the room where everyone can see them.
- Put numbers in a hat for the number of people that are participating.
- Everyone takes turns drawing a number until everybody has one. This determines the order of gift selection.
- #1 picks a wrapped gift from the pile and opens it.
- #2 has the option to A) take the opened gift from #1 or B) Pick a gift from the pile for themselves.
- If #2 takes the gift from #1, then #1 picks again.
- #3 has the option to A) take either of the previously opened gifts or B) Pick a new gift from the pile.
- Whoever gets a gift taken from them picks a new gift and does have the option to take a gift from someone (except a gift that was taken in that round or frozen gifts).
- This carries on down the line. Everyone has the option to take any gift that has already been opened, or take a chance on a new gift.
- Here’s the kicker… Once all the gifts are opened, #1 has the option to swap with anyone else. Essentially getting to choose any gift he/she wants except those frozen gifts.
Here are a few extra rules on Yankee Swap etiquette:
- Once you open a gift, you have to keep it where everyone can see it.
- Gifts are frozen after they have been stolen THREE times.